Wednesday, October 26, 2022

[offtop] UI and Guilty Pleasure

Suddenly started a desktop tool for file viewing purposes:

 https://www.fancy-viewer.com/ 

Yeaaah, just another photo viewing tool: Windows/API, ImageMagick-based, see About->Licenses for licenses.

There are couple of reasons why I did it:

- first, I need a hobby and I'm not in the mood for another low level hobby-security-project; had a lot of that stuff on the job;

- then, the process of testing i.e, going through gigabytes of photos on my hard drive calms me very well, which is good for the mental health. Funny thing, UI bugs don't frustrate me at all (I know a lot of people who hate them terribly);

- I use the tool by myself and I just like it this way: I like the ability of reviewing photos without being limited with fixed-sized thumbnails; I also use built-in FTPS client features, Tags and Favorites features, Dark Theme, etc.

It is still a little bit raw: doesn't have proper auto-update system and code signing (I ordered the cert, but the process is slow as hell). UI obviously lacks of RTL support; multi-language support is not that great, it currently just supports only two of languages: English and Ukrainian. 

P.S: Some UI controls were created completely from scratch, and it was a lot of fun with Win32 stuff which I also love (while 70%-80% of my regular job is about Linux/Unix systems currently)

No comments: